Central Iowa River Gun Club Range Rules
- ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
- ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
- ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
- Eye and hearing protection are required for all shooters and spectators in the firing line area while shooting is in progress.
- Courtesy and Respect are Required!
- When more than one person is using the range for practice without a range officer in charge, cooperation and courtesy will prevent problems when changing targets or performing other activities.
- Vandalism or unsafe practices will absolutely not be tolerated.
- Firing Line Rules
- NO Alcohol
- NO Smoking
- NO Horseplay
- NO Vandalism
- NO Non-approved caliber usage
- NO Loading of firearms behind shooting stations
- NO Targets other than paper targets and they must be hung on the frames
- NO Shooting in front of the firing line
- NO Loaded firearms down range
- NO Handling of firearms while anyone is down range
- Always keep loaded firearms pointed down range
- NO pets
- The NRA has mandated the use of empty chamber safety flags at all sponsored matches. We suggest using them at all times. A one foot length of ‘string trimmer’ cord works well. Just insert it thru the chamber and barrel of your firearm when not in use
Firearm and Ammunition Rules
- Metal piercing ammunition is absolutely forbidden
- Rifles are restricted to .22 caliber and smaller rim fire cartridges. No rifles shooting hand gun calibers. ‘AR style pistols’ are allowed in listed acceptable pistol calibers only. Shouldering of AR style pistols is not allowed
- NO SHOTGUNS or SHOTGUN SHELLS! (i.e. Taurus Judge, TC Contender, etc.)
- Due to possible damage to the range we need to limit the types of ammunition used at CIRGC.
- Pistol cartridges only. NO .454 Casull, .460, .480 Ruger, .50 AE or .500 SW
- No magnum calibers larger than .44 Mag
- If you have questions about specific ammunition, please check the list on the bulletin board or contact one of the club officers for clarification
- The range is available for practice all hours. Exceptions would be when the club has scheduled activities. We will try to post a calendar of events showing when the range would not be available for public use. Check the range bulletin boards, doors and our website, www.cirgunclub.com for information.
- Family or a friend may accompany a club member at the range but the club member must be present and is responsible for their safety and their actions.
- Minors must be accompanied and supervised by a parent, guardian or responsible adult.
- Use paper targets only and they must be mounted on the target carrier. Paper plates, playing cards and such are acceptable but cans, bottles and breakable items are not. Cardboard backers are no longer allowed because they clog the bullet traps.
- Please clean up the firing line area when you are done shooting. Brass cases go in the provided buckets, steel and aluminum cases go into a separate bucket.
- Controls for the down range lights, exhaust fan and furnace are inside the door to the firing line area. When leaving the range make sure that everything is turned off. Check behind you as you turn off the lights at the front door to see if everything is off. Make sure to shut the front door gently to prevent damage to the latch, but ensure the door is latched.
- Violations of the range rules should be reported to the executive or safety committee. Disciplinary actions could result.
- A security camera system is in place for your safety as well as the safety of others. Please follow all safety practices while using your range and be sure to follow the established rules of the CIRGC. Your cooperation in complying with these simple safety guidelines will make the facility a safe place to enjoy the shooting sports.
- Failure to adhere to any of these rules will result in a review from the Safety Committee to determine appropriate disciplinary action. Penalties could include temporary or permanent expulsion from the CIRGC and/or prosecution.
- If you have questions/concerns regarding any of these rules, please feel free to contact any of the committee members listed below.
This facility needs the help of all of the club members to maintain a clean and safe environment to practice and enjoy shooting sports. Members like you have been keeping this club alive since the 1950’s. Please do what you can to maintain it for the future.
Central Iowa River Gun Club Executive Committee
List of Acceptable Handgun Cartridges
The following is a list of handgun cartridges that are acceptable to be used at the range. These cartridges, and ‘only’ these are acceptable. If you have questions contact one of the officers for clarification.
*ABSOLUTELY NO SHOTGUNS*
- 5 mm Remington Mag. Rimfire
- 10 mm
- .22,.25, and.32 Rimfire
- .22 Winchester Mag Rimfire
- .30 Luger
- .30 Mauser
- .32 S & W Long
- .32 ACP
- .32H&R Mag
- .327 Federal Mag
- .356 TSW
- 9 mm & 9×18 & +P
- .38 Special & +P
- .38 Super & +P
- .38S& W
- .38 Short Colt
- .400 Cor-Bon
- .41 AE
- .41 Revolver
- .41 Mag
- .44 Russian
- .44 Special
- .44 Mag
- .45-38 Auto
- .45 Colt
- .45 ACP & +P
- .45 Win Mag
- .45 Schofield
rev 2/20 MH